Re: GBlist: Public School SD Case Stgudies

Hi Lois --

I work at Ralph Nader's office and have been involved with two projects
that might help you out.  One is the Government Purchasing Project, which
encourages the government to be an environmentally responsible consumer.
That project puts out a publication called Energy Ideas, and our most
recent edition called Energy Smart Schools tracks successful energy
conservation iniatives in schools (aka lots of case studies).  This
include case studies on passive and active solar design. I will be happy
to send you a copy.

A good resource we used for EI is a comprehensive book called Blueprint
for a Green School, by the Center for Environmental Education.  They are
in your area and can be reached at 917-747-8200.  They would probably want
to get involved.  Also, Green Seal has a publication called the Campus
Green Buying Guide.  You can get a copy of that by calling (202)
331-7337.

The other project I'm working on is called the Wood Reduction
Clearinghouse, which aims to reduce the use and waste of wood.  We are
putting together a guidebook on wood use reduction strategies for public
officials, and in doing research I came across a good technical bulletin
put out by the Maryland State Dept. of Education called Building Ecology
and School Design.  The bulletin helps schools incorporate environmentally
sound practices into building decisions and includes some material
recommendations.  I can also send you a copy of that, if you like.

That is all for now, but please feel free to email or call (202-387-8030)
me back and tell me what you would like sent to you and how I can be of
further help.  - Nicole

Nicole Capretz, Essential Information
Essential Information			|   Internet:	ncapretz@essential.org