GBlist: Public School SD Case Stgudies

Hi,

I'm doing some education and advocacy work here in Los Angeles
with the L.A. Unified School District to try to help their
Architecture, Spec and Materials staff learn about sustainable
development, least toxic, least polluting materials, etc.  As many
of you may have heard, the district passed a $2.4 billion bond
program in the recent election to upgrade schools and add new
classrooms here in L.A.  So it's very timely for the District to
come on board on greenbuilding.  I'm also anxious for the District
to recognize the primary school in my neighborhood as officially
part of the Los Angeles Eco-Village demonstration neighborhood
which is my primary work.

The folks I (and Deborah Weintraub, AIA) will be talking to next
week at the School District are completely new to this field.
Does anyone out there know of any case studies, or specific
resources for green school design and building, rehabbing, etc.
Deborah will be introducing them to the internet and the web for
the first time and the resources available to them that way.  But
it would be very helpful if we were able to show them what other
public schools have already accomplished in this field.

We appreciate any leads, and if there are folks from L.A. out
there who would like to join with us in this educational process
for LAUSD, please be in touch.

Lois Arkin
Los Angeles Eco-Village:  a sustainable community in process and
the west coast node for the Ecovillage Network of the Americas
(ENA)

3551 White House Place Los Angeles, CA 90004

phone:      213/738-1254 fax:        213/386=8873 email:
crsp@igc.apc.org web:
http://alumni.caltech.edu/~mignon/laev.html