GBlist: Re: insulation retrofit questions (phenolic)

Mike said:
>>I have literature on a spray in insulation called 'Tripolymer' (R) made
by the C.P. Chemical Company, Inc of White Plains, NY.  It claims to
be "enviromentally safe" and have a water vapor transmission (ASTM C-355)
of 15.5 to 16.9 perms-in.  Has anyone heard of this material?
 -Mike<<

Mike,
     You may find the information on our web site helpful,
     <http://erecbbs.nciinc.com>
(then click on "File Libraries," then on "Residential Energy Efficiency")
The following is an exerpt from one of our files. Tripolimer foam is a
phenolic foamed-in product. I think Alex may have published generic info.
on it in EBN too.
     It's difficult to discuss options without knowing much about your
existing construction. We deal with people daily with similar interests
as yours. Call if you like.
      For anyone else that is interested, we encourage constructive
criticism so please forward your comments to me should you find anything
you feel is incorrectly portrayed.
Cameron Duncan
EREC Architect
CDUNCAN@nciinc.com
(800) 363-3732

.......exerpt from EB9.TXT--New Types of Insulation........

"Phenolic Foam

For several years, a high R-value phenolic rigid insulation board was on
the market.  Because the foam boards often shrank, warped, or decomposed,
manufacturers stopped making it.  Foamed-in phenolic insulation is still
available.  It has a R-4.8 per inch resistance value, uses air instead of
an ozone-harming fluorocarbon as a blowing agent, and has good fire
resistance.  The manufacturer does not restrict installation due to
extreme temperatures, providing it is not left permanently exposed.  The
major disadvantage of phenolic foam is its shrinkage, which ranges from
0.5 to 1.5%."