Re: GBlist: insulation retrofit questions

Sherman wrote asking about an appropriate insulation retrofit for an older
house, specificially inquiring about Tripolymer Foam.

There are two concerns I have with Tripolymer Foam: First, at least a few
years ago considerable shrinkage occurred with this foamed product--it
could shrink away from studs 1/4" or so. Second, the company has been very
evasive about what it is and how it's made. They advertise it as
formaldehyde-free, and indeed it is far different than the
urea-formaldehyde foam insulation it replaced. But it may be foamed
phenol-formaldehyde resin. They call it a phenolic foam, but they have not
been receptive to my more detailed inquiries.

Other options are blown-in high-density cellulose or poured open-cell
polyurethane (Icynene or Demilec). Any of these options requires a trained
insulation contractor with the proper equipment. The insulation is
installed through holes drilled either in the siding and sheathing, or in
the plaster or drywall on the interior. If the siding needs to be replaced,
you could look into the option of installing a layer of foam insulation on
the exterior--an option engineer Joe Lstiburek is pushing pretty hard these
days.

Good luck.

Alex Wilson
Environmental Building News