GBlist: [Fwd: water treatment]

This message was a reply to an early posting on demineralized
water(sept,96) message was rejected (undeliverable) so I am posting it
here hoping it either finds its home or that someone might have some
comments on design for healthy water systems.

-- BEGIN included message

> I have been an (indoor) environmental consultant for the past eight years
> (working out of Toronto, Ont.) and have done some extensive research in the
> area of water filtration AND water nourishment. I have always considered
> that water is an essential part of a building's interior environment and
> should be dealt with accordingly.
>
> One of my significant findings was that soft water (or demineralized water)
> was generally not a healthy water to drink. I have even gone so far as to
> say that soft water is a health threat under some conditions (like long term
> exposure).  As you know both RO and Distillation systems remove minerals
> from water and I have run into many arguments from people in those
> industries who would not agree with me.  Yet when I have asked them for
> their research notes etc. I have never received a reply.  I would be glad to
> share with you all  (or those specifically who are interested) my research
> summary notes, which are many pages right now.
> But what I would like to know from you (all) is if you have any information on
> the on this issue, either pro or con that you could address?

Hi Mark,

I know you posted this message a while ago but I am hoping your offer of
sharing your findings is still valid. I agree with you that water is a
prime element of the interior environment and have had similar
difficulties in gathering information on the potential negative effects
of water treatment.
I practice on Vancouver Island and deal with both site development as
well as house design. Dealing with water issues has become crucial as
sources are both in short supply and are becoming increasingly
contaminated with bacteria or cysts, principally giardia and
cryptosporidium.

Dealing with bacteria has the potential of either further contaminating
the water (chemical treatment is not even an option but I have concerns
about the long term effects of residual ozone or ionization), removing
essential components (minerals), or wasting water (not an option).

I have considered developing a passive site built approach similar to
sand bed septic treatment that would involve letting water pass slowly
through a large contained filtering medium. While this might ensure
containment of a sufficient time to kill off any bacteria it might not
and trying to create specifications that would ensure safe water still
seems to demand some end treatment like ozonation.

Any thought on all this. Water contamination seems to becoming epidemic
with little action short of letting people become contaminated. But as
municipalities start to consider the problem anew I am worried that the
current set of solutions might become worse than the problem.

John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.
terrain@seaside.net

-- END included message