Re: GBlist: GB List: OSB question

Mike, GB listers:

        While phenol formaldehyde resin-based products are expected to be
generally lower emitters than urea formaldehyde resins, there still is a
range of emissions from products made with either.The quality of the resin,
the ratios, the use of scavengers, etc. affect emissions. And the stronger
emitting p-f resin products may be as high as the lower u-f resin based
products, according to one unpublished report I have seen on a variety of
products. In general, U.S. made products are lower, about half, of imported
products, and the highest in the whole range is about 14 times stronger
emitter than the lowest. So, it matters a lot what product you choose.
Choose carefully, based on reliable emissions tests, correctly reported and
interpreted.

        Hal

At 05:54 PM 5/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, Hal--
>
>Point taken. It did seem that the incorrectly stated emissions rate was
>still very low. What is your understanding of the formaldehyde emissions
>from phenolic resins in boards?
>
>Best, Mike

Hal Levin	  <hlevin@cruzio.com>
Hal Levin & Associates
2548 Empire Grade, Santa Cruz, CA 95060-9748
408.425.3946  fax 408.426.6522