GBlist: Re: Water Quality

Hi,
I am a bit hesitant about forwarding these thoughts as I might get
lambasted again for trying to find simple solutions for complex problems
(one of my little life goals). I am also hesitant to propose this as it
may involve more time than you are able to commit. But I think the
process would be interesting and rewarding and on 179 acres your have a
little room to experiment.

The process is one of biotechnology and often is termed bioremediation.
You are considering your water toxic because of high concentrations of
salts and probably other minerals. Bioremediation has developed as a
method of dealing with either toxic wastewater or contaminated bodies of
water, soil, etc. (e.g. oil spills is a heavily researched application).
The process may be anaerobic utilizing bacteria (similar to a
conventional septic tank process). It may use algae or plants that can
have a remedial function by incorporating toxic elements (and yes there
are living things that can have a remedial effect on IAQ). Whatever the
elements used it is basically a passive approach that utilizes, mimics
or enhances natural systems or known features of natural elements to
performs some kind of 'cleansing' or detoxifying function.

What made me think of this in reference to your situation was a
reference to using bacteria to cleanup sulphate contaminated water in
South Africa. An inspiring reference to using natural systems in
cleaning up water is John Todd of Ocean Arks International
http://www.earthbase.org/guests/oai/oailivmachjt.html who has produced
some incredible aquaculture systems, one of which is in use as a
demonstration project in a school in Toronto. There is a great deal of
current research activity on bioremediation and I would suspect with
your governments focus on drinking water quality there might be some
funding potential for a demonstration project applicable to rural
situations.

One interesting thing about developing such a system for use on your
property is the potential of expanding its usage for wastewater
treatment. If you are interested let me know it would be fun and useful
to me to participate in working out some design specifications.

p.s.DISCLAIMER I am not qualified in any of these areas of research I am
simply passing on some anecdotal information because it 'sounded good' -
if anyone is tempted to challenge me on my interest in a wonderful
natural process versus a nasty people-made one I have no defense and not
being terribly qualified I think limits my personal liability.

John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.
terrain@seaside.net