GBlist: North Carolina Building Codes

I want to build a sustainable home (for example Earthship or strawbale) and
may eventually build a small community of similar homes around it. I know
trying to build strawbale or Earthship (or perhaps even post and beam with
straw bale insulation) means a trial with code officials. But I'd like to work
with them to develop something we can all feel good about.

Do you know any NC building code officials in the following counties who might
be receptive to these styles of building? I'd also like to hear which counties
are more supportive, whether or not anyone knows names.

(in order of preference: Orange, Chatham, Alamance, Durham, Wake)

Thank you for any suggestions!

Olivia James