GBlist: "Antibacterial" furnace filters

My local utility is offering an "antibacterial air-care filter" for
sale. It is promoted as "eliminating bacteria, germs, pollen, smoke, e.
coli, fungi, mildew, mold spores, salmonella, insecticide and
staphylococcus". Its lifetime warranty says it "never needs replacing,
never loses its air-cleaning power, never stops working to rid your air
of pollutants and allergens".  All for only 60 bucks!

My understanding is that this filter kills stuff by having some sort of
anti-microbial substance called ViBAX on its surface.  When the air
passes through the filter, the nasties are killed.  I have a number of
questions about the claims made for it.

1.)  Can a factory installed anti-microbial remain effective for a
"lifetime", especially if the filter is being removed and cleaned with
"household detergent and water" on a monthly basis, as is recommended in
the brochure?

2.)  Will it even work in the first place, i.e., will bacteria, etc. be
killed simply by passing through this filter?

3.)  There is no specification for filtering ability, only claims on
what it will filter.  To get rid of the things it claims to filter, how
many microns would it have to filter down to?

4.)  If the anti-microbial substance really lasts, (and even if it
doesn't) what are the health implications of having HVAC supply air pass
over what is essentially a pesticide everytime the air handler kicks on?

Since I heat with hot water baseboard, I couldn't use it anyway.  But I
still wonder if this is a wonder product or snake oil...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

CM
--
Catherine M. Muller
National Center for Appropriate Technology