GBlist: indigenous materials (sod)

SHIRLEYN wrote earlier requesting information on earth covered houses, I
asked her for more information and am posting the replies here as
someone might be able to provide more information or experience.
John
SHIRLEYLN@aol.com wrote:

> Dear John,
>    I am exploring all possibilities for what I consider to be
> "unconventional
> " housing.  I have investigated strawbale houses and corn cob cottages
> but am
> especially interested in all aspects of earth-covered houses.  Someone
> mentioned old-fashioned sod homes, but I've found no information on
> them.  As
> a starting point, I need to begin by finding the proper basic design
> for a
> small one-person house, no larger than a one bedroom.  About 800 to
> 1,000 sq.
> ft., with a very efficient, economical design.  the living area must
> be
> large, everything else can be small.  I want the house covered with
> earth on
> three sides, leaving only the south side exposed to the sun.  The
> house will
> be located in the Sun Belt in East Texas.
>    I have explored the earthship design but am not too wild about
> going with
> the tires and cans. Seems the final cost is far too great for what I
> would be
> getting.  I have read a few descriptions of earth homes, and there
> seems to
> be several options of building materials  concrete blocks, stones,
> stucco,
> steel supports, concrete roofs, waterproofing material, stryofoam,
> solar
> equipment, etc.  I spoke with a couple who built one using post and
> beam
> construction and are quite pleased with it, though I've not been able
> to find
> any information about using those materials.
>    Perhaps you can tell me which construction materials you feel are
> best and
> why.  Do you feel a compost toilet or a solar toilet is best?  Why?
> Also, if
> you know of any floor plans or designs I can look at, please let me
> know.
> Thank you.
> SHIRLEYLN@aol.com

Hi
Look at http://www2.maxpot.com/maxpot/MaxPotPubs.html as a source for
information on using indigenous material also their main site at
http://www2.maxpot.com/maxpot/AboutMaxPot.html.
I am also attaching (word document) a floor plan of a prefab 540 sq.ft.
house that we had to do as a rural rental suite or guest house/cabin. It
is not appropriate for what you are doing but it is a good example of
how small things can be and still be serviceable. I want to commend you
for wanting to build small.
Building alternative or green is a challenge every 'system' has it
proponents. I like your idea of looking at sod as it was one of the
original prairie architectures and was also used extensively in Iceland.
There is some information on traditional building techniques (i.e.. how
roofs in Iceland were built with 7 layers alternating sod up and down)
but very little current practice compared to strawbuilding or rammed
earth so it would be difficult to find support (possibly a plus). As sod
is essentially a cellulose material (roots especially) that binds soil
particles I imagine it would provide both mass and insulating properties
in a nice flat tidy package.
I would strongly recommend that you keep your focus on indigenous
material but not worry at this point what that material might be. Begin
with a careful analysis of your site. Starting with its shape. Look at
how the water flows on it and how it is exposed to the sun, wind rain.
Look for micro climates, areas that because of rock or soil mass and
exposure or protection are warmer and sheltered. Look for wildlife
habitat that you need to preserve and share. Look for where your
services (road, power, etc.) need to come in or be constructed
(septic,etc) and think about if their inclusion might provide an initial
basis for materials (pine, soil, stone, sod). In doing this the site and
landscape itself very quickly becomes your home and you will find that
you will develop an affinity for the material of the landscape that very
quickly extends itself to your building and issues of waste management
become clearer if you know what it is you are putting your waste into
and how well it can live with it.

Can I repost your message and this reply back onto the greenbuilders
forum as the additional information you have given will probably
generate a lot of specific discussion on sod. You should also post it on
the strawbuilding forum.

Good luck
John