Re: GBlist: Info search (LCA)

Nadav, Greenbuilding listers:
        Nadav's comment (below) fails to respond to the question or to
comment on the appropriateness of the SimaPro software and of the
EcoIndicator '95 work and other LCA applications and issues that are related
to building materials and other building design decisions. SimaPro can be
(and has been) use(d) for analysis of building materials. I saw an analysis
of materials by a major Dutch company buidling and exporting tens of
thousands of housing units to the developing nations of Africa. The Dutch
company used the analysis as a major consideration in its ultimate building
system design. So, the question is, what are the advantages, disadvantages,
and limitations of one or another LCA approach, methodology, software
package, or other tool of interest and relevance to GB listers?

        One limitation of SimaPro is that the database behind the tool is
basically European, much of it Dutch. Many of the numbers will reflect
European production processes, energy sources, environmental issues, and
other elements that may have different relevance and interest in the U.S.

        Another limitation of SimaPro, the one I keep hammering on about
virtually all of the methodologies used for building materials environmental
assessments, is that there is no valuation step in the analysis, no
weighting of the environmental problems being addressed and, therefore, no
consistent, rational basis for comparing the results of an analysis.
EcoIndicator '95 addresses this issue by providing weights. However, these
weights are based on European environmental problems and are not apparently
applicable to the U.S. At some point in the near future there may be a
collaborative effort to develop a U.S. version.

        The SimaPro software is available in the U.S. It can be ordered from
Decision Dynamics, 703 319 3944. A demo version is available. You can
request a copy of the demo from PRé Consultants, Bergstraat 6, 3811
Amersfoort, The Netherlands. tel +31 33 45 61 10 46, fax +31 33 65 28 53.
email: <info@pre.nl>, web site: <www.pre.nl>.

Marilyn wrote:

>>> Does anyone know if there is a place where I may be able to find some
>>> calculation of the "cost" of a plastic bag that would include the
>>> environmental cost and such?

>.-

Hal Levin	  <hlevin@cruzio.com>
Hal Levin & Associates
2548 Empire Grade, Santa Cruz, CA 95060-9748
408.425.3946  fax 408.426.6522