Re: GBlist: need help calcuating some passive solar numbers...

In a message dated 5/27/97 2:36:38 PM, ejh@idcomm.com (Edward J Hartnett)
wrote:

<<
I'm going to be building a passive solar house sometime next year. I'm in
early design phase right now.

I need some help calculating up the house. Basically I need to understand
the numbers that relate window area, thermal mass, and heating. I have a
good math background but don't know the formulas.

Can anyone out there help?>>

Hi Ed,

There's a lot of algorithms out there.  I take the evidence of e-mail that
you have a computer.  Do you want to write your own code or buy a program?
 If you want to write your own program, let me know and I can give you
references for each bit of the model (e.g. conductive losses, ground contact,
radiation processors, internal gains, thermal storage, infiltration).  Write
your own for the joy of it or so you understand all the underlying pieces.
 Otherwise, I'd get Sunhouse from Danny Parker at FSEC in Florida
(407-638-1000) or HOTCAN.  I think both of the programs are listed on the DOE
web page called Building Energy Tools Directory.  If you have trouble finding
them let me know and I'll track down better references. (Sunhouse is DOS and
HOTCAN is DOS or Mac) - Terry