Re: GBlist: need help calcuating some passive solar numbers...

Ed,

A computer program really takes the drudgery out of the calculations and
can save a lot of time. A good list is available in the REDI database
(www.oikos.com/redi). Search for "software"

Most programs that do solar gain along with heat loss cost start at $200,
so it may be more than you want to spend for one design. You might also
consider hiring an energy consultant who already owns a program to do the
analysis for you. I have no idea how much they charge. REDI also lists
one or two consultants.

Maybe someone could suggest a way Ed could find someone in his area.
(EEBA, ASES, etc.) Some electric utilities run programs that might offer
this service. It's worth a call to the electric supplier (if you're on
the grid, of course).

A third option would be to do the calcs manually. The classic text is
Passive Solar Energy by Ed Mazria. You could probably find it at the
local library.

Good Luck

Bruce