GBlist: Truss Uplift

Prevention of truss uplift (see original message below), is covered
in several building manuals, including the new Cold Climate Builder's
Guide, available from EEBA at 612-851-9940.  One issue less
frequently discussed is fixing the problem after it occurs.  Some
people have gone into attics and cut drywall fasteners near partition
walls, retaped, and repainted, with apparent success.

> One of our member builders has been experiencing a phenomenon known as "truss
> lift," in which the vertical and diagonal bracing chords of the roof truss
> system shrink over time to the point where they are able to raise the bottom
> chord enough to separate it from the interior non-load-bearing walls up to an
> inch.  Has anyone else experienced this situation? Causes? Solutions? (Our
> builder has gone back to standard framing with 2x6 rafters.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Doug Seiter
> Austin Green Builder Program

Dan Cautley