GBlist: Re: greenbuilding-digest V1 #290

Hello everyone,

I have an announcement that I feel will be of interest to many of the
ecologically-oriented people on this list.

I have recently co-founded an association called the Green Business Alliance
in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Our main goal is to create a network among
local businesses which are interested in moving towards more sustainable
business practices, and to ultimately have a "Green Business Center" in which
such businesses could physically locate, giving the public a place to go for
"one-stop shopping" for ecologically oriented and produced goods and
services.  In our search for the elusive definition of what exactly is a
"sustainable business practice", we have come across an organization called
The Natural Step (TNS), which has its national headquarters in Sausalito
(near San Francisco).  TNS was founded in Sweden as a consensus-based
scientific pursuit of the "system conditions" which would need to be present
in a sustainable earth economy.  We feel the principles are valuable and
useful, so we are sponsoring a  workshop for the public to attend to learn
more about it.  The following is some text from our flyer.  If you are
interested, please contact me directly at Solarguy@aol.com. or phone me at
(510) 845-2997.  PLEASE DO NOT POST RESPONSES TO THIS LIST AS I DO NOT WANT
TO TIE UP THE RESOURCES OF THE LIST.

Thanks.

the green business alliance invites you to attend:

THE NATURAL STEP TRAINING
JUNE 28, 1997
OAKLAND, CA

The Natural Step training is an extraordinary one-day seminar which provides
participants with a shared framework for understanding sustainability and
powerful strategic tools for achieving it.  Grounded in fundamental,
non-controversial scientific principles, The Natural Step provides a way for
people from diverse backgrounds and ideologies to achieve consensus on the
conditions necessary for an ecologically and economically sustainable
society.

During the seminar, we will explore:

* the basic science upon which The Natural Step is founded;
* the four "system conditions" that can be used to guide companies and
society toward sustainability;
*  the ecological realities that effect our economy and how companies can
gain competitive advantage by understanding these realities;
* case studies of companies that have applied the principles, the benefits
they achieve and the challenges they faced
* how TNS can enhance the effectiveness of tools like life- cycle analysis;
and finally;
* in break-out working groups, how the principles apply to your businesses,
organizations and communities.

This workshop is intended to equip you with tools that you can take back with
you to your business and your home to create an environment that fosters
sustainability.

FACILITATORS:

SUSAN BURNS, President of Natural Strategies, has been an environmental
consultant and trainer for over 12 years.   Ms. Burns recently co-facilitated
a one-day Natural Step Training for Mitsubishi Electric America's
environmental committee and Monsanto's sustainability team, and co-authored
(with Paul Hawken and Steve Goldfinger) The Natural Step curriculum for U.S.
audiences.    Ms. Burns is an internationally-experienced speaker and writer
on the issue of sustainability  and corporate responsibility and has taught
courses on corporate environmental management and strategy for the University
of California. She has served such clients as Coca Cola Enterprises, Vistacon
(A Johnson & Johnson Company), and Santa Fe Railroad.

TERRANCE MCNALLEY, is a facilitator, consultant, speaker and writer for
corporate and non-profit organizations including :  Business for Social
Responsibility, Rhino Records, Redefining Progress, Tree People, and American
Oceans Campaign among others.  He is the host of the "solutions centered"
radio call-in program, "Free Forum" on KPFK-FM in Los Angeles.  Cause-related
work has included the 'Earth Day 1991 Action Guide';  the Student
Environmental Action Coalition 1990 National Conference; and PSAs for
EcoMedia, Inc. and Earth Communications Office (ECO).  He has produced and
directed documentaries, including 'Greenbucks', the BBC's 1992 Earth Summit
special ; 'Buckminster Fuller - World Man, World Environment' and
'Alternative Futures for America' with economist Robert Theobald.

P l e a s e     J o i n     u s!

Location:  LAKE MERRITT GARDEN CENTER at Lake Merritt in Oakland

Date and time:  JUNE 28th FROM 8:30 am TO 5:00 pm

Agenda:
8:30am            Registration / coffee, tea, pastries
9:00am - Noon     Introduction, History of The Natural Step, Systems
Thinking, Basic Science, Investing in the Future, Case Studies
Noon - 1:30pm     Catered lunch
1:30pm - 5:00pm    Applying the Model, Working Groups, Dialogue, Feedback and
Closing

COST:  $125.00 price includes a healthy lunch and a comprehensive manual to
take with you

CoSponsored by: Ad-Hoc Builders, Architects/ Designers/ Planners for Social
Responsibility, BT Commercial Real Estate, Builders Booksource, EcoTimber
International, Greg VanMechelen Architect,  Interior Concerns, Kibbey
Environmental Building Consultant, Natural Strategies, Northern California
Land Trust, Sun Light & Power Company, Urban Ecology

Gary Gerber
Sun Light & Power Co.
Berkeley, CA