Re: GBlist: Hemp Insulation?

Mark,

Thanks for the conversion. I really should invest in a copy of MEEB.

>Multiply Btu/hFft2 (conductance)  by  5.673  to get  watts per kelvin per
>square meter

If I understand correctly I would divide watts per degree kelvin per
square meter by the conversion factor to get thermal conductance
(U-value). So here goes:

    .13
   ------   =   U .02255
   5.673

Now to convert U to R-value.

     1
   -----   =   R  44
  .02255

R-44 doesn't seem entirely unreasonable, since there's no indication of
thickness. This could be a ceiling full. However, the other value given
for the lower density works out to R-118.

I think I'm doing something wrong here.

Maybe some of our British or Austrailian friends could help out a poor
metric-impaired Yankee. How would these thermal conductance values
compare with other insulation materials?

From my original post:
In one place the specs say the density is 110 Kg/m3 and the thermal
conductivity is 0.048 W/m K. In another place it says the density is
350-500 Kg/m3 and the thermal conductivity is 0.13 W/m K.

Thanks

Bruce S