Re: GBlist: pond liners

Jorg Ostrowski wrote:

> What is the most environmentally-sound pond liner material?
> Thank you for any help.

Hi Jorg

You asked for it - so I'll see what I can tell you from memory (not too
good these days). The most environmentally sound pond liner would
probably be a process known as 'geification'sp.? which is the anaerobic
conversion of plant material into a waterproof membrane. The process is
a naturally occurring one that was researched and documented somewhere
in russia when somebody asked the question as to why certain lakes were
holding water when existing soil conditions shouldn't support it. The
process was duplicated with success on some islands where water was a
problem.
Practically - you dig a hole, fill it with vegetable matter (grass
clippings, straw, etc. they used coconut husks on the island) cover it
with plastic and let it rot or whatever it does. I can't believe I even
remember this or where it came from - probably some permaculture
reference.

I've had success with clay or concrete (mortar mixes) with zypec
additives (depending on pond size). In both situations I used a bedding
of grass clippings thinking that if the process could occur naturally
(however slowly)it would work well in the event of leakage and
eventually become the primary membrane and in the interim the pond could
be established.

My purpose in establishing ponds close to a houses was light reflectance
which is phenomenal but I think the reflecting light patterns on the
ceilings drove the client nuts.

Let me know what you come up with - I need to do a wetland

John