GBlist: warm thermal curtains & window quilts

Franny:I would be interested in the article/booklet you mentioned below,
if you can locate it.

We are using Window Quilts on some of our windows and skylights and are
very satisfied with them so far. The first time we used them was in 1979.

They are effective since they address all three forms of window heat loss:
convection, radiation (which accounts for about 60% of the total window heat
loss) and conduction. Their seal is  tight all the way around the edges when
closed. The vapor barrier is also a radiant surface, very helpful in close
proximity to people, fireplaces or radiant heated floors. They are also useful
in the summer when you want to keep the cold inside and heat outside. One can
be discriminating and keep their use to the prime applications of human comfort,
heat loss, radiant heat sources, humidity, privacy, air leakage, and  daylight
control. The more of these criteria that are applicable, the greater the
return on investment. Anyway that is our experience in a 10,000 DDf
climate with temperatures last winter down to -37 Cf in the city.
Jorg Ostrowski,  M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
-  in full-time professional practice since 1976 (Straw Bale since 1978),
   environmental/architectural design, ecological planning,  consulting
   on sustainable  buildings/communities. Lectures, seminars, workshops.
   3 demonstration projects in Canada, +80,000 visitors
 - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
ACE, ARE, ACT, ASH-Incs., Phone: (403) 239-1882, Fax: (403) 547-2671
Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm