Re: GBlist: Sustainable Home In LAH, CA

SAMALEK@aol.com wrote:

> I am an architect / general contractor. I am designing my first sustainable
> home in Los Altos Hills, CA. I need assistance in the following please:
>
> 1. How do I "eradicate" poison oak ecologically? The site is full of it.

Here's the MOST "ecological" scheme: hire a herd of goats. Forget the
round up and bobcats and weed whackers (all petro-driven solutions!)
Right now there is actually a skirmish in Oakland between unions and
Mills College because of goats being used to eradicate some PO instead
of union laborers. The goats are regularly leased by the East Bay
Regional park District for fuel breaks. They crop the plants pretty
tight to the ground. While it may not do 100% eradication, nothing short
of scorched earth will ever do that.