GBlist: Cold Vermont floor

------------------------------
Doug Patterson writes:

I have just moved into a rental house in Vermont where the main room is
converted garage with a concrete floor. The slab lies directly onto the
ground with nothing underneath it. The main source of heat for the room
is
a wood stove. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the floor less
cold
in the winter and less damp in the summer. As we are renting we want to
find the least expensive, environmental solution possible.

Dear Doug,

You've got another month before winter. Air seal the top of the building
to stop infiltration at the floor level.

Pick up a nice pair slippers to deal with the slab conduction issue. You
need them for mud season anyhow.

Regards, Fred