GBlist: Domestic Rainwater Filtration

G A Thomas <mnmgat@bath.ac.uk wrote:

>I'm one of three MSc Management students at Bath University (UK) currently
>researching a project on domestic rainwater filtration. We initially set
>out looking out at the possibilities of the "Etaperenser", a Danish system
>based upon a new foam filtration method which collects and stores
>considerable amounts of rainwater for household use. Although the water
>collected is not drinking quality it is odourless and clear, suitable for
>every other domestic purpose. In Denmark the "Etaperenser" can typically
>collect around 60% of a household's water needs, substituting
>simply filtered rainwater for expensively processed tapwater.

Here in Victoria, Australia away from the Melbourne area a common technique
is not to filter the water but to collect and divert the first 25 to 40
litres and then let the rest of the rainfall go straight into the tank.  The
idea is that the first flush washes away the leaves and bird droppings and
the rest of the water is of good quality.

There are several devices on the market but basically they all work by
having a container which fills and closes a valve to divert the flow.  The
container has a small drain hole which empties the container over a few
hours ready for the next shower.  The user needs to check the container
every week or so to clean out the captured leaves and dirt.

I can only talk personally of Victoria but I think this method is used
Australia wide.

Regards
Lance Collins