GBlist: reclaiming anew

About taking back/recycling products....

An interesting parallel might exist with the new window product called
Renewal by Andersen.  Not quite a "lease" program as you described the carpet
example, but a similar environmental "wholeness" approach. (And I don't think
the reclaimed materials go into autos....)

It goes something like this:
1.  Renewal is extruded from a composite material made from recycled plastics
and wood fiber.  Waste from the production process is recyclable into more
Renewal materials.
2.  Andersen measures your replacement windows and makes Renewal window to
order for each opening.  Each is serialized for warranty and future needs
tracking.
3.  Old windows are removed and, instead of going to the land fill:  (a)
glass is recycled, (b) wood is recycled into more Renewal raw materials (c)
same with plastics, and (d) metals are recovered and recycled.

There is MUCH more to this business than this short description.  To my
knowledge they have rolled out this product in about 7 markets with plans to
go nationwide.

I guess one of the similarities to the carpet example is the fact that they
may be replacing old Andersen windows in addition to other wood, vinyl,
aluminum, steel, etc.

Like you, I like the notion of cradle-to-grave ownership of the environmental
responsibility.

Chris Mathis
President
MCSquared