Re: GBlist: Solar Film for Windows

<< I have a client next to a very black, very hot parking lot who is being
 cooked by infrared. YOu can feel the heat intensely thru his large single
 layer glass windows. Suggestions and specs for shielding film to apply to
 glass?
 Thanks,
 John Alderman >>

Suggestions:
1.  I don't recommend films unless you have no other cost option.  Then be
prepared to replace them every few years.
2.  I do recommend windows with a low Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC).
 Values range between 0 and 1.  A good low value is < 0.4.  Look for
NFRC-certified SHGC values.  Some special glazings have SHGCs <0.2. (blocking
roughly 80% of the incident radiation.)
3.  If the client still wants to SEE out the window, also specify a high
visible transmittance (Tvis).  Above 60%.
4.  In specifying, make sure the values are NFRC certified.

This is just one in a long line of "discomfort" stories brought to you by
single glazing...

Chris Mathis
MCSquared