Re: GBlist: Re: Living Machines

Further to the above, and as promised, I can batch fax a short (2 page)
summary of our greywater treatment system to those who are in a position
to provide constructive comment or who also wish to construct a similar system.

Abstract: This is the last of 3 different greywater treatment systems to be
installed into an integrated passive solar greenhouse (as part of the
Alberta Sustainable Home/Office) along with 2 planter boxes (in place) and 2
slow sand filters (in place). Blackwater is treated  in our Phoenix Composting
Toilet (in operation). Fabrication is scheduled over the next month. It
was designed to fit into a very tight space:180 cm (L), 30 cm (W), 270 cm (H).
It is comprised of:
INFLOW from dishwasher, washing machine, tub and shower into:
1) Gravel Filter,
2) Cascade #1,
3) Hydroponic Trough,
4) Marsh #1 + Tilapia Tank + overflow to INFLOW,
5) Cascade #2
6) Marsh #2 to,
OUTFLOW to ultra-low flush toilet, shower, bath, washing machine & dishwasher.

This is part of a study for CMHC on "Sustainable Home Water Systems".
Project manager is Karen Braun. An overview description of this system
was written up in last December's Popular Science magazine. Dale Hampshire
designed this specific part of our system.

This system has been reviewed by: John Todd of the Center
For the Restoration of Waters @ Ocean Arks International (Falmouth MA), Tom
Speraneo of S & S Aqua Farm (West Plains, MO) and Andrew Hellebust of Living
Technologies Corporation (Toronto, ON). These gentlemen have experience
and are available on a consulting basis. For anyone seeking their advice,
please contact me for contact addresses or numbers. If you know any other
experienced  experts who may be able to review this system please contact me.
Jorg Ostrowski,  M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
-  in full-time professional practice since 1976 (Straw Bale since 1978),
   environmental/architectural design, ecological planning,  consulting
   on sustainable  buildings/communities. Lectures, seminars, workshops.
   3 demonstration projects in Canada, +80,000 visitors
 - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
ACE, ARE, ACT, ASH-Incs., Phone: (403) 239-1882, Fax: (403) 547-2671
Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm