GBlist: Re: Cinva Ram

On 8/13/97 7:00 AM John Harville (via Alex Wilson) wrote:

>I'm trying to locate information on the Cinva Ram.  Are they still
>available somewhere?  I'm not interested in hydraulic models.

The "Cinva" ram was invented in Columbia in 1952, used in international
aid projects, and was made popular by its continued listing in the
legendary Whole Earth Catalogs.  I don't know where this model may be
currently found.  It's like "Kleenix" - there are many presses, but
because of the WEC, people call them all "Cinva Rams".

I do know that lever-action earth block presses, which is what a Cinva
ram is, are in active use all over the world.  The Earthbuilders
Encyclopedia lists 14 different names used in different countries.  I
have personally seen models that were made in France, India, and
Australia (none of which were mentioned in the EC).  The press I used
here in the Colorado was hydraulic, as almost all of them are in this
country.  Here's some addresses (don't ask for a "Cinva Ram" unless you
are doing an historical re-enactment;  ask for a "lever-action earth
block press").

CRATerre
Centre Simone Signoret
Bolte Postale 53
F-38090 Villefontaine
FRANCE

*By far* the leading organization for all forms of earth construction.
The name mean the International Center for Earth Construction.
They are one of the members of BASIN (Building Advisory Service and
Information Network), which is a European consortium of Appropriate
Technology groups, also fabulous.   Info on them may be requested at the
same time.

Development Alternatives
Tara Nirman Kendra
B-32, Institutional Area, New Mehrauli Rd
New Delhi 110016
INDIA

This is the best AT organization I've ever seen.  One of their projects
was to design a earth block press and sell it at cost all over India to
reduce the consumption of fuel used to make bricks (the most common
construction method in rural areas).  I went in thier office - one room
has a large barrel vault ceiling made entirely of unreinforced blocks
with no motar.

Earthbuilders Encyclopedia (and)
Southwest Solaradobe School
POB 153
Bosque, NM  87006

These guys aren't great (all their publications are primarily paid ads
and appear to be produced by a 10th grade journalism class), but they do
know their craft, and its the only game in town for general info.

Adobe International
POB 1284
Grants, NM  87020
505.287.3961

They make hydraulic machines, but might know who manufacturers a
lever-action.

Buzz Burrell
Bolder Building
Boulder, CO