GBlist: House painting/5-7 years in Arkansas

Frazer,

My personal experience is a paint job is good for 5 years in Arkansas.

Twelve years ago, I took the (asbestos-like) siding off my 1906 model
12-foot ceiling, Victorian house in Little Rock and found 95% good,
wood,lap-siding underneath. I replaced the siding that was bad (all on the
south side). I dense packed the walls with cellulose. Skim coated half the
interior plaster walls,  sheetrocked the other half and plugged interior
envelope penetrations. Inside, I primed and painted using Benjamin Moore
latex interior paint. Outside, I primed and painted using Benjamin Moore
best oil-based exterior paint and primer. It was good for 5 years. This
house is on a crawl space (on which I placed a ground cover/vapor barrier),
inland (Little Rock, AR), south slope, and the house was fairly well
shielded on north, west and east.

Five years and the paint job needed attention. Seven years and it was
repainted.

Ron Hughes
THE WHOLE HOUSE
http://www.energyhome.com