GBlist: Kadulski comments on housing costs

<<The only way we're going to change this preoccupation with consumerism,
<<et al is to use the same tools that were used to create it in the first
<<place - make it unfashionable to buy into the standard subdivision special.
It
<<will mean using the mass media to shift public attitudes. It may sound like
<<daunting task, but it can be done.

<<Just think about the propaganda machines that are unleashed during
<<war-times. We don't have to go back to WW II, or the Korean war, just
<<think back to the Vietman war, the Gulf war, the Cold war, etc. If you take
<<an objective look, you'll see how media manipulation created, at least for
<<while, an uncritical mass outpouring of coverage, so that by the time any
<<critical questions are raised, it is hard to alter the course of the
<<discussion. The large multi-national corporations have learned this, and
<<employ high priced public relations companies and lobbyists to keep the
<<public agenda focused onto issues that are of interest to them, and to
<<minimize unfavourable or embarassing coverage.>>

I admit to being leery of using mass media for this task... the mass media
seems to be using us at this time to sell new "green" "sustainable" " eco"
products...do we really want to let them have a run at "supporting" us for a
while and then they will be a s strong as ever and will start supporting some
other "lifestyle" because it's not "been there, done that" ?  Did anyone see
John Stossel on 20/20 the other night and how he so gloriously (snicker)
"debunked" multiple chemical sensitivity....do we really want to be just a
passing fad, or are we serious?  Research, living the talk and the appearance
of calm fortitude where a crazed madman for smaller buildings, less
buildings, giving back to the earth, etc. lives in your soul is only the
beginning.  Dare I say that one of the Sustainable Buildings main tenants
should be "Less is More"...less workaholicism, less disturbing of the land,
less desire for things, less personal money, less flying to conferences, less
people being born, etc. all lead to more time for building community, more
time to renew land already disturbed, more creativity, more equal
distribution of wealth, more impetus for internet conferences, more
space/chance of a future, etc. [ I must admit that I am also not at the less
stage completely--working and striving]

I really appreciate the specific information that is the bulk of the
 communication
on this site; however, this core issue of how we convert the masses seems so
critical to me.  If I may be so bold, the teachers jesus, buddha, etc. did it
one heart at a time.  So who's heart are you converting?  I'm going after an
investment club of app. 18 women--they all very carefully wrote down the book
title "The Ecology of Commerce" by Paul Hawken when I suggested that in
addition to social responsibility, they should invest in environmental
responsibility--someday soon, I want to lead them  beyond investing in the
"market" and get to local investing.  It's a dream, but everyone's got to
have one.

Richard, thanks for bringing this issue up; I took the opportunity to vent.
 I did enjoy your comments very much, including the "Lifestyles" reference,
 the urban community vs. exurban, the "what impact are a few of us doing a
lot vs. a lot of us doing a little" comment, etc.

Rooting for Earth and People,
Dona Stankus, AIA
Dona Stankus, Architect
Raleigh, NC