GBlist: Re: German Building & a general comment

97.08.30	0130	edt

----------
>German doors are, of course, metric. Usually a meter clear between the
>stops, as I recall. That's 39 1/4"...
>
>Chris Koehn
>Top ridge Timber Frame Homes

Well, that makes more sense.  'Course, forgetting that they were shipping a
lot of these to America was a little like us selling left drive cars to
Japan & wondering why they did not sell...

Thanks for the info, very interesting.  I prefer that which lasts, but
total acceptance here would cut a lot of folks out of the "American dream",
and would require a major cultural change.  Arguably good, but unarguably
difficult to bring about.

------
************
A comment on the recent "war" on the list, and the out of proportion
reactions to same.  The manner in which some of you are trying to shut down
the voice(s) you do not like is not attractive.  As I recently finished
viewing the PBS series, "Russia's War", mainly about Joseph Stalin's war
against his own people, your tone frightens me, especially that of the guy
who called on the list nanny to step in.

Extremism & intolerance on either side of an issue simply breeds it on the
other side in the other direction.  No matter how much you believe in what
you do or how right your cause is, there will always be those who disagree
with you.  And the intensity and narrowmindedness with which you choose to
express your beliefs will surely determine the tone of your opposition.
Unless your objectives can only be achieved by a justifiable war, you may
want to consider the honey vs vinegar trick, or, gadzooks, the possibility
that you may be...at least partially...wrong.

I am not taking sides in the matter currently at bar, because I think both
sides need to listen more and posture less.  And consider carefully the
important points of what most concerns the other.

[And to the list nanny, back off.  Let the people talk.  Even this type of
minor looks-like-censorship will suppress ideas.  A list such as this
carrries the inherent risk of political clashes.  Why not be happy that
there is more than one informed viewpoint on it?  That is how we learn.
Surely you do not want to limit membership and its expressions to lockstep
thinkers/thinking.]

"Hope this helps"
jh