GBlist: Low Cost Housing

	I am new to your list, and this may be a little of the center for
this list, but maybe not.
	I work in the American Community College Movement where we have a
huge challenge being handed to us--the assisting of helping move from
welfare living to work living. As such we need breakthroughs in affordable
housing (and transportation) for these citizens.
	Can anyone here lead me to some innovation in building affordable
shelter, housing that specifies what people must have, as opposed to
buiding housing that only some people can afford.
	Here are some of the specifications:

	. Housing costs should be limited to $200.00 per month
                (family),
        . Energy efficient,
        . Multiple families in a unit,
        . Common (i.e. shared) spaces and use--courtyard, tool
                storage,garden, bathing, laundry,
        . Living spaces designed for basic functions--sleeping,
                dining, recreation
        . Proximity to municipal park and public transportation
        . Shared telephone, cable, technology,
        . Low maintenance,
        . Environment-friendly,
        . Multi-generational,
        . Front-end financing,
        . (Probably other specs that come from further collaboration)

	I appreaciate any information/leads any of you might offer.

Don Bass
College of the Mainland
Texas City, Texas