GBlist: UPDATE: the search for window horror stories...

Greetings green and energy-efficient folk!  Thought you might like a brief
update on the status of the "window horror stories" search.

First, THANKS to EVERYONE that sent materials in.  Fortunately for ME but
unfortunately for many, there are TOO MANY such real world horror stories
about windows and doors and skylights..... and it is obviously an area where
some serious education is needed.

Here are a few received so far.... ALL worthy of potential list discussion...

1. Label between the glass in an IG unit. (installed, believe it or not....)
2. Patio doors installed upside down (many times)
3. Patio doors installed backward (too many times)
4. "Flying" tilt-in sash during typical wind storms.
5. Shimming nightmares.
6. Expansive foam nightmares..... ALL product types.
7. Duct Tape as flashing material "thousands of uses"
8. Pepsi cans as the "rest of the flashing"...
9. What are these sash reinforced with?

Keep those "horror story" cards and letter and e-mails coming!!!!  We are
trying to make the EEBA conference session on windows as interesting and
informative as possible.  Please send any more "horror stories" you may have,
OR, BETTER YET, COME TO THE EEBA conference and share your experience
personally!!!! (We already have some people bringing videos of real world
exampes!)  November 5-9, 1997 in Denver.

Thanks again for all your help to date!  Keep sending those pictures and
slides and stories (even though they keep me up at night....)     ;^)

Chris Mathis
MCSquared
5249 Columbia Road
Columbia, MD 21044