GBlist: Re: Insulation/ attic- crawlspace -Reply

Given what you've described about your house, I highly
recommend finding a competent diagnostician to figure out what's
going on. Are the ducts really sealed? Since tape was used, the
answer is probably not. Is duct leakage causing negative
pressures in the house, causing air (along with contaminants) to be
sucked in from the attic and/or garage? How tight is the house?
How well sealed is the house from the attic? The Garage?

An experienced person with a blower door, a duct blaster, a
manometer, and some sense can probably figure out what's
actually going on in a few hours, and possibly save you a bunch of
money in terms of going down non-productive paths. Occasionally,
this person might be an engineer, but experience, training, and
having the right tools are much more important.

I don't know any house docs in Dallas. Maybe someone else on
this list does. Try your local utilities and weatherization program for
leads.

Arnie Katz
Advanced Energy
Raleigh, NC