Re: GBlist: Questions on concrete sealant & vapor barriers for a below grade living space

I have to agree with Richard Kadulski in that it would be better to
fully insulate the wall and using a drainage material is a good idea.
Rockwool drainboard is readily available on the east coast and the rigid
board fibres are coarser and less irritating that the glass (they use
less formaldehyde as well). I still think (depending on the porosity of
the exist. conc. and the moisture conditions that using a
crystallization agent like zypec would be useful. I'm not sure about the
necessity of insulating the slab (it depends on groundwater height - if
4-6' below slab then I can't see the requirement for the additional
expense but then I tend to get kind of cheap sometimes as all my other
details can get kind of expensive. It is a good point about the summer
humidity and that should add to the considerations about choices of
materials - its been a while since I lived on the east coast and I do
seem to remember an especially moldy basement apartment.

John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.