GBlist: Fluorescent Lights: off or on?

With the goal of optimally operating a "green building" once the occupants
have arrived, I have a question regarding fluorescent lighting.  Does
anybody know how the startup ballast energy requirements of a fluorescent
fixutre relate to the amount of energy saved by turning the fixture off for
a period of time?  Or in other words, if one is leaving their office for
1/2 hour, does it make "energy sense" to turn off the fluorescent lights or
leave them on?  And what is the threshold time period where it no longer
makes "energy sense" to turn the lights off.

I would imagine that the time period depends somewhat on whether the
ballast is magnetic or electronic.  If anybody has any insight into this
commonly asked question, I welcome your input.  Thank you.

John Livermore
<liverjx@nu.com>