GBlist: LA "green" buildings

Hello, Rob & GB Listers,

Deborah Weintraub, ex-business development officer of the Canadian LA
consulate, and a member of the LA AIA Envrionment Ctte., organised a tour
of "green' buildings last year, which I found out about only after the fact
:-(  I'd passed this along to Jorg earlier, but thought it might be useful
to the List in general.

Love to hear your comments.

Ian Theaker, P.Eng.

Center for Regenerative Studies
	A must-see - good luck though, with only one weekend....  They're
following in the footsteps of the New Alchemists in aquaculture and water
treatment; their climate responsive buildings were very comfortable last
summer in 90F+ heat.  If you contact them first, they may have a bed for
you to stay - well worth hanging around for throughout a day, to check out
solar angles, overhangs, etc.  Check on status of their plans for the next
phase, and how well the gardens work is done, with short-term, semester
scheduled help.  Rob ? is now resident manager, taking over from Steve
Nawrath last year.

8th District Constituent Services Centre
	I think this is what was meant by "Ridgehaven Municipal Building (?)".
Address is 8475 South Vermont.  Concentrated on meterials selection & water
conservation (seems to be a common thread thru SoCal design - *not*
energy-efficiency); less impressive mechanical / climate-responsive design.
 Architects were Thomas Jeffries & Raymond Wright.  (I haven't been there
myself, but picked up some bumf.)

Lehrer House (address?)
	Heard about this one in Arch. Record.  Architect is David Hertz of
Syndesis in Santa Monica; house is made of "Syndecrete", his proprietary(?)
concrete with high recycled (fly-ash?) content.  Again, concentrated on
materials selection, but also apparently on climate-responsive - especially
natural cooling/ventilation design, c/w a solar tower to induce stack effect.

John Picards' House (12915 Greene Avenue, LA; (310) 821-7762)
	John Picard seems to be successful in promoting enviro-responsible design
to big biz (primarily movie studios), and his house was deemed to be worth
seeing in the AIA tour.

SoCal Gas Co's. Energy Resource Center (9420 Firestone Blvd, Downey, CA;
(310) 803-7400; Manager - Diane Morrison)
	Exhibition hall and seminar rooms, with displays of gas tech.  More a
display of EE & recycled material technology than a green building;
mechanicals very complex to show off capability.  They're proud of the fact
that the building is salvaged, and their use of recycled / salvaged
materials; unfortunately little daylighting, lots of electric display
lighting, and few passive cooling / climate responsive  features that I
could see.  Check out their absorption chillers, main reception desk finish
of recycled glass (very nice), and their feature steel wall made from
recycled guns.

Sony Pictures Child Development Center (Clarington Ave, be3tween Venice &
Washington Blvds. (310) 998-8550; Lora Peterson, of Bright Horizons,
managers of the Center)
	Don't know almost anything about this one.

Waste Management Inc.  Biltmore Towers (Suite 1710, 500 S. Grand Ave.
(213)239-6681), Gary Petersen)
	Again, this was included on the tour, but I don't know much else about it.
 Use of recycled / reclaimed materials?

LA EcoVillage (contact Ian McIlvaine, Tierra Sol y Mar, (310) 392-2775)
	These folks are concentrating more on community economic development &
local food production in deepest darkest East LA, rather than green
buildings, but they've acquired an apartment building and intended to
retrofit it for EE.  High ambitions, little funding... sigh.