Re: GBlist: windows

Beverly Weiter wrote regarding window choices for hot humid climates. In part:

>I am getting conflicting info from local contractors - double vs. single,
>argon filled vs reflective coating vs.
>.....  The main problem seems to be condensation in double paned windows
>resulting from the extreme heat vs the excessive use of air conditioning
>and the extreme humidity
>
>I have a client who needs to change windows and I need a
>fast answer.  Please note that the house is sited N/S but there is an
>added problem with a child who is severely asthmatic and sensitive to
>dust.

The question of whether to go with insulated glass or not is a non question
as far as I'm concerned. Use insulated glass. Given the north-south
orientation of the house, I would suggest also investing in a low-e coating
(low-e2 or comparable, which lets less light through). The question of
argon isn't as important. It doesn't cost much more, and is probably
justified, particularly since you have an asthmatic child and thus should
try to reduce condensation (= potential mold problems) as much as possible.

For more detailed information, I suggest the book "Residential Windows," by
Carmody, Selkowitz and Heschong, which I can't recommend too strongly. It's
a great book (W.W. Norton publisher).

-Alex Wilson, Editor
Environmental Building News