Re: GBlist: Carpet glue

Hi Lyle

I don't have a lot of experience with carpets - as Jorg suggested it has
been more a question of avoiding their usage and finding alternatives.
I imagine the owner is wanting to use the carpet for acoustical purposes
and its probably a commercial grade (which might be an advantage as
manufacturers have been more responsive on IAQ concerns within
commercial applications). The carpet fibres (or type of carpet) is less
a concern than its installation and usage.

Most carpets however are treated (the fibres coated) for stain
resistance and you might want to do some research on this aspect as the
chemical mix varies formaldehyde for eg. has been a common binder
(commercial carpets can actually be better in this respect as the fibres
and loops are coarser and shorter and can require less treatment).

The underlay or attached foam backing is more of a concern as this is a
foam product and can be quite unstable (again there has been a lot of
changes in requirements for outgassing in such products ie. EEC
standards and some North American manuf. might have made changes in
their products to make them acceptable for European usage) A commercial
product uses less and denser foam and again may be more acceptable.

I have no experience with adhesives for carpets but I am sure other
correspondents do (John Bower might have some product suggestions). If
an adhesive is to be used you could suggest that they minimize their
usage to a spot or grid application (this would make the contractor
happy)

The irony of carpet usage is that as the effects of the installation
dissipate the negative aspects of the carpet itself become stronger (as
they concentrate other pollutants, cleaners, etc.) You might want to
talk to the club owner about their cleaning routine ie. products used,
etc.

If changes are being made to the HVAC you might want to ensure a source
of filtered supply in the performance area - or as a personal strategy
ensure adequate room ventilation before performing or bring a small fan
with an attached hose to an ext. air source.

Its unfortunate that public areas are treated in this way - I'm glad you
are working to bring these concerns to the contractors and owners
attention.

John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.