Re: GBlist: Re: windows in FLA

Mike O'Brien offered the following pearls of wisdom:

>One difference between seals in windows is the material and the way its
>applies--inexpensive windows may have a layer of polysulfide on either side
>of the spacer, better windows may have a double seal--poly plus butyl along
>the edge of the glazing unit.

The problem with seals in windows tends to be much greater in coastal
environments. Harbor seals have been a particular problem in some areas.
Not only do they lead to infiltration, but they also block the view. If
you're experiencing one of these problems, I would call the Monterey Bay
Aquarium or the Woods Hole Oceanographic Research Station (depending on
your coastal orientation). I'm not sure what to suggest for double seals.

Good luck,

-Alex
Environmental Building News