Re: Squirrels

Dear Squirrel/bird feeders,

  I've hesitated to get involved in this topic because I can't remember the
exact name for my current equipment, but I have a feeder that is
100% squirrel-proof for 2+ years. I have a standard Droll Yankee cylindrical
feeder mounted on a metal pole which screws into the bottom of the feeder,
with a plastic baffel/feeder tray under the feeder. The feeder is about 5
feet from the ground. The nearest shrub or tree is a large ornamental pear,
about 10 feet from the feeder, therefore out of jumping range. I bought the
tray and feeder at a Wildbird
shop here in North Charleston that has closed, but I recall that the pole was
made by Wildbird. Ther feeder tray/baffle was by Droll Yankee, I think.
I always use black oil sunflower. The squirrels feed on the ground on what
falls from the feeder but I have never seen them on the feeder itself. My
most common
customer, year-round, is the Mourning Dove. If this doesn't work you
could try the Daisey Red Ryder air rifle, which fires a non-lethal brass
"bee-bee", I'm told. My mother's friend uses the gun to discourage squirrels
who visit her yard in Greenville,SC.
   If you trap and transport, remember that squirrels can travel long
distances back to
a home with a free buffet. I think 20 miles would be a minimum, maybe more
depending on obstacles and terrain.
   Happy feeding (remember, squirrels gotta eat, too),
Steve Compton
Raven23302@aol.com
North Charleston,SC