Backyard Migrants

Sat. September 14th - I haven't been paying much attention to birding or
migration since I arrived about 5 weeks ago.  This afternoon I did
happen to observe a mixed species flock at my home just outside of
Chapel Hill.

A small flock passed through - BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER, BLACK THROATED BLUE
WARBLER, TENNESSE WARBLERS, AMERICAN REDSTARTS,  BAY BREASTED WARBLER,
SCARLET TANAGER (female or imm.).

On Sunday, a new wave of migrants came through.  The variety was not as
great but I still had excellent views of first fall BLACK AND WHITE
WARBLER, BLACK THOATED BLUE WARBLER (male), SUMMER TANAGERS, SCARLET
TANAGERS.  The tanagers were in various plumages...and many of
them...also a VIREO SP.

Anna Kopitov
amk17@duke.edu