Re: Recent Bird wave (Charleston, SC): Fox Sparrow, N. Oriole, Rusty Blackbird, etc.

Christmas birders,

I had the pleasure of joining Nathan as a member of Perry Nugent's band of
birders on the Pawley's Island/Litchfield
Christmas Count today. Some highlights from the Jetty:

200+ Bonaparte's Gulls
500+ Gannets
Field Guide looks at an imm. male Surf Scoter and
a hen Black Scoter that hung around the jetty for hours
Absurdly mild weather: as we stood there at the end
of the jetty, 1/4 mile out into the ocean, all dressed up like Eskimos, a
guy wearing shorts and a tee shirt came
sauntering up.
The usual Huntington Beach State park specialties:
Piping Plovers, Great Cormorants, Peregrine, lots
of Red-throated Loons. Alas, no Cave Swallow
or Short-eared Owl (unless, of course, I brought them forth by leaving early
so the others could see them).

Great Day! Long live the Christmas Bird Count!

With Love for Nature and those who Love Her,

Steve Compton
Summerville,SC
mailto:scompton@sc.rr.com