From: Gamble, Tim
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 11:14 AM
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
Subject: Bird Watching vs. Birding

My two cents worth on the "Bird Watching" vs. "Birding" debate:  These terms describe two very different hobbies with only superficial similarities.  Birding tends to be more about science and bird watching tends to be more about art.

Bird Watching - A passive hobby that to me is typified by the Birds and Blooms magazine, truly wonderful pictures but no substance.  Birdwatchers are interested in enjoying the beauty of birds and want to be able to add new birds to their checklists, but have little interest in learning more about the birds they see and usually have no interest in conservation and environmental issues.

Birding - A highly active hobby that includes observing birds at it's core but goes beyond the enjoyment of birds simply for their beauty.  A desire to learn not only bird identifications but also bird behavior and life histories is an important part of birding.  Conservation and an awareness of environmental issues are also part of the mix (i.e. birders love to attract birds to their gardens but also are concerned about invasive, non-native species so are careful what they plant).  Often birders are "into" other wildlife (butterflies, plants, etc.) as well, and can even appreciate the parts of nature that are not normally considered beautiful (spiders, mushrooms, etc.).

A bird watcher will go to a state park to look for birds, as will a birder.  But it will be the birder who goes back the next week to participate in the park clean-up day.   A bird watcher enjoys the beauty of birds, a birder is inspired by that beauty.