Post-Floyd tree damage

John Fussell said in part regarding hurricane damage post-Floyd:

"In terms of environmental "damage":  there was
a lot of salt spray damage, but much less than from
Fran--I think much of the damaged vegetation this
year will recover by next season.  Based on what
I see, what really has damaged the vegetation is
man's response to the storm--a neighbor went out
and saw a live oak with a broken limb--he then
cut down the whole tree--I've seen many examples
of this.

I think there may be some alternative explanation of the tree surgery at
least in some communities.  Let's say that the high winds did some
cheapskates a favor, by damaging a tree they really wanted removed anyway.
The real expense in having it done for you is apying somebody to haul it
away.  In many communities tree debris removal is done by local authorities
using some Fed cleanup money.  I see lots of people in my neighborhood
throwing prunings unrelated to wind damage on these same piles.

On a better note peregrines and merlins (at least) have started to show up
on the Outer Banks.

Bob Burrell
KDH NC
rburrell@coastalnet.com