CHICOD CREEK (A THING OF THE PAST)

Diane DelleDonne and I took a drive out past Chicod Creek today here in Pitt
County, NC.  I was curious to see the status of the hardwood forest since I
had bumped into a timber appraiser there while hiking last Spring.
Unfortunately my fears became a reality when I saw that the entire area had
been clear cut!

Spring migration will never be the same for me in Eastern North Carolina.  I
frequented this place every weekend I was home in the Spring, and even some
evenings after work.  It was a reliable place to see Swainson's, Worm-eating,
Kentucky, Hooded Warblers to just name a few. Tanagers, Vireos, Flycatchers
could all be expected to been seen on a Spring morning.  Other previous
highlights for me at Chicod were Blue-winged & Bay-breasted Warblers and a
large flock of Evening Grosbeaks late one Spring.

I wonder if all the migrants will find a new place in Pitt County to stop
next year, or will they just pass us by?  I wonder what will happen to the
nesting species that had become imprinted on this particular tract of
hardwoods, like the Ovenbirds, Louisiana Waterthrushes, Barred Owls, etc.?  I
wonder what happened to the family of Black Bears that gave us so much
excitment this past year?

It looks like Chicod Creek is a thing of the past.  I am grateful that I got
to experience it over the last five years.  I'm sorry that I will have to
find a new place to bird next year!

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BCar105390@aol.com