Lake Mattamuskeet 11/22

	A trip sponsored by the Greenville Bird Club and the Sierra Club to
Lake Mattamuskeet turned up one or two special birds I didn't see mentioned
in other L. Mattamuskeet reports.  Thanks to the leadership of Kelly Davis
and Howard Vainwright, we got great views of an adult Black-crowned night
heron.  And yes, the views of eagles were great.  One immature bald eagle
provided the best closeup views.  The adults could be seen well through
scopes.  A comical highlight was a cormorant trying to swallow a catfish
that was just too large.  We saw one White Ibis, and got unusually close to
a bufflehead.
	A special thanks to Grace Smith for the organization and operation
of this trip.
John Daughtry
Greenville, NC
daughtryjo@mail.ecu.edu