good birds at Bear Is and Donnelly

Just returned from a beautiful afternoon at Bear Is and Donnelly.  At Bear
Island we ate a picnic lunch at Mary's House Pond and watched 4 Bald Eagles
soaring over the pond.  Two were adult and 2 were 1st or 2nd year (no white
bellies).  In addition to the expected we saw 20 Avocets and 50+ Glossy
Ibis.

Across the road from the entrance were 20+ Tundra Swans.

At Donnelly near the lodge first 2 Woodstorks flew over then 5 SANDHILL
CRANES!!  This was a state first for us.  We were at just the right place
at the right time as they were flying in a straight line and we would have
missed them had we been a minute earlier or later.

I guess that how some of these birds get by us - no one is looking up all
the time, not even Jack Peachey! :) :)

--Judy
George & Judy Halleron
Harbor Island, Beaufort Co. SC