Lake Wallace

Went to Bennettsville,SC on Monday for social reasons and managed to slip by
Lake Wallace for a few minutes one afternoon.  Found not one, but two mature
Bald Eagles sitting together on a snag of a dead tree.  If you happen to go
looking, from the causeway next to all the wood duck boxes, look toward the
back woods and find a tree with lots of mistletoe, then scan left.  You will
see the dark silhouettes with the naked eye.  I didn't have time to look for
a nest.  I had a novice birder with me and it was her first time seeing
eagles and her first time out with a scope (she kept calling it a tripod).
She said it had not just made her day, but her year!!  Saw a lone
pied-billed grebe, some "woodies","ruddies", and the usual coots, mallards,
etc.  Some cormorants flying over. I might have seen more, but had to cut it
short. Lots of gulls as well.  The lake was drained a few years ago and then
refilled and stocked with fish.

Joanne Harley
New Bern,NC
harleyclan@coastalnet.com