Medcalf Lake's Better Birds

C'Birders:

Day 6:  Toast, the Cinnamon Teal, is still here, seen frequently near my
dock with Ring-neckeds and Woodies.

Black-chinned HB (I'm working on a name), is still at McCormick's.  I got a
birder/photographer, Dave Harper to take some pictures this morning.   Both
hummers are still there.

Some have written questions which I will answer here:

Oops,  I never mentioned on this network that Yes, the White-winged Dove is
gone from the Bush's house on Lake Shore Drive.  It stayed about 6 days.

Don't think we have to worry about the second submissive hummer.  Our temps.
are mild enough for there to be insects.  The homeowner, besides the two big
feeders, the 2 frequent, also has a filled feeder on opposite side of yard.

AND, I have added a big red feeder in a conspicuous place in addition to the
little ones I scatter around MY yard in the winter.   I am probably the
equivalent of a city block away from McCormick's.

Betty,  Randy, come one, come all.  I am anxiously awaiting Susan to band,
but she thinks since he is acting territorial that he may stick around.
Sam, I have yet to check on the hummer's appearances in afternoon.
Homeowners are a bit vague on the subject.  Will attempt to do that
tomorrow, on way to and from another birder's Xmas party.

Other neat backyard birds yesterday and today:  third time for
Orange-crowned warbler this winter in my yard today.
Black and white warbler yesterday.
Both kinglets in my live oak.
Yesterday in McCormick's, a  Pileated and Flicker duking it out vocally.
Guess who won.
Blue Jays mobbing a buteo, think Red-shouldered, the fog and eastern light
really gave me little more than a profile, in McCormick's.
Female Anhinga drying its wings in the fog, on tree at dam, seen from
McCormick's.
A sharpie and a Cooper's jiving around the area.
And so on.  You can tell I like where and why we retired here.
Good birding, 'til tomorrow,
Mary McDavit of Medcalf Lake of Sunset Lakes, Sunset Beach, Brunswick Co, NC
osprey1@mindspring.com