Vereen gardens

Hi y'all,
    Saturday (1/06), after an hour or so on New Rd. with Chris Hill, I met
Miles Phillips and headed to Little River (near the SC/NC border) to check
out Vereen Memorial Gardens. Pretty nifty spot. I'm told the area is approx.
100 AC. that stretches from US 17 to the Intracoastal Waterway. It's hemmed
in by a residential development on the north and a golf course on the south.
Habitat is primarily mixed second growth forest with a small amt. of
maritime shrub/scrub and brackish marsh along the waterway. A few walking
trails thru the woods with a boardwalk that traverses the marsh and connects
a cpl of small hammocks. Painted and Indigo buntings were observed there
during breeding season last year. Nothing rare today, but good numbers of
winter birds, including 6 woodpecker species.
Tricolored heron - 1
Clapper Rail - 1 heard
Killdeer - 2
R-b Gull - a few
Herring Gull - 1
Tern sp. - 1
Mourning Dove - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - several
Y-b Sapsucker - few
Downy Wp. - few
Hairy Wp. - 1 seen, another heard
N. Flicker - 2
Pileated Wp. - 1
E. Phoebe - 1
Blue Jay - a few
Car. Chickadee - several
Tufted Titmouse - several
B-h Nuthatch - 2
Carolina Wren - several
House Wren - 1
G-c Kinglet - 2 heard
R-c Kinglet - numerous
Hermit Thrush - 3
Am. Robin - cpl of small flocks
N. Mockingbird - 3 (1 tailess ind.)
Cedar waxwing - heard
Blue-headed Vireo - 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler - numerous
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
N. Cardinal - few
White-throated Sparrow - few
Dark-eyed Junco - 2
Red-winged Blackbird - 3

Also 3 Am. Kestrel alongside Hwy 17 in NMB, one of which was perched on a
line that spanned 6 lanes of asphalt (no median.) He looked sorta
depressed...

Cheers,
Gary

Gary Phillips
Conway, SC
 Zone 8
axis1@sccoast.net
'"Oh frabjous day! Callooh, Callay!' he chortled in his joy." (Carroll)