bald eagle; Roanoke Island

Hi,

Yesterday afternoon, following an exceptionally rare
sighting of a warbling vireo with John Fussell there
to confirm (could there be MORE?) my husband, Skip
Hancock, and I entered the nature trail beside the
Elizabethian Gardens and the Fort Raleigh area on
Roanoke Island. We had goshawk on the mind, having
made the trip there to look for it, but finding the
warbling vireo instead. Looking up as we entered the
trail I saw a wide wing span high thru the pines and
at first thought it might be our hawk, but quickly
noticed the white head and wingspan of an adult bald
eagle. It was flying very fast and we ran to the end
of the trail, just getting it in our binoculars for a
good, but brief look.

linda

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward