falconry

Dear Birders-I greatly appreciate your supportive
comments and will not hold forth in this forum on the
merits of falconry. The personal emails  have been
more than enough to assuage any shock or hurt feelings
that I truly feel are based on ignorance.I will make
the following observations, though. Roger Tory
Peterson described falconers as "fanatic birders".
Aldo Leopold described falconry as the "perfect
sport". The Cornell project and the peregrine fund are
largely comprised of falconers but when you look at
their boards you might not realize that if you are not
a falconer. If you want to see a countable Aplomado
falcon in the SW in the future I would depend on
faloners and their efforts before any other group in
this country including the US Fish and Wildlfe
Service. Falconry is the taking of wild quarry with a
trained bird of prey. Falconers are obsessed with the
quality of the flight and the inherant beauty of it.
They are as a group wholly dedicated to birds of prey
and particularly interested in habitat restoration
which is the biggest threat to birds in the world.In
other words, they share or should share a common goal
in preserving habitat and scientific improvement in
what little we have remaining .Again, I welcome
birders to the meet, particularly the detractors who
can see with their own eyes what it is all about
rather than ill or preconceived notions.ceballenger